Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

"A Poet's Poem" by Brenda Shaughnessy

Yesterday at work I wished someone "Happy National Poetry Month!" and they asked if that was an April Fools joke. Oh, I'm so happy you all know that Poetry Month is no joking matter. But since it's the weekend and while celebrating poetry may be no joke, it's not all serious either so today we move forward with our month's theme (poems about poetry) and look at somewhat humorously at the frustrations of writing a poem...

A Poet’s Poem
by Brenda Shaughnessy

If it takes me all day,
I will get the word freshened out of this poem.

I put it in the first line, then moved it to the second,
and now it won’t come out.

It’s stuck. I’m so frustrated,
so I went out to my little porch all covered in snow

and watched the icicles drip, as I smoked
a cigarette.

Finally I reached up and broke a big, clear spike
off the roof with my bare hand.

And used it to write a word in the snow.
I wrote the word snow.

I can’t stand myself.

Found at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=182964

No comments:

Post a Comment