Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Friday, April 29, 2011

"Briefly It Enters, and Biefly Speaks" by Jane Kenyon

I hope you’ve enjoyed National Poetry Month as much as I have this year. I love this poem and feel like it's a good one to end with. I'll give you a hint (like every other poem this month, this one's a poem about poetry, too). This will be the last Poetry Month post, but don’t be sad (I know your heart is weeping) because May’s theme will be really, really exciting! I promise. I just need to figure out what it will be…

Briefly It Enters, and Briefly Speaks
by Jane Kenyon

I am the blossom pressed in a book,
found again after two hundred years. . . .

I am the maker, the lover, and the keeper. . . .

When the young girl who starves
sits down to a table
she will sit beside me. . . .

I am food on the prisoner's plate. . . .

I am water rushing to the wellhead,
filling the pitcher until it spills. . . .

I am the patient gardener
of the dry and weedy garden. . . .

I am the stone step,
the latch, and the working hinge. . . .

I am the heart contracted by joy. . .
the longest hair, white
before the rest. . . .

I am there in the basket of fruit
presented to the widow. . . .

I am the musk rose opening
unattended, the fern on the boggy summit. . . .

I am the one whose love
overcomes you, already with you
when you think to call my name. . . .

Found at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15916

No comments:

Post a Comment