Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Monday, April 25, 2011

"American Poetry" by Louis Simpson

It’s the last week of National Poetry Month!! We continue with our theme of poets writing about poetry with a piece by Louis Simpson. This short poem is one of my favorites and a good way to ease into Monday. Enjoy!

American Poetry
by Louis Simpson

Whatever it is, it must have
A stomach that can digest
Rubber, coal, uranium, moons, poems.

Like the shark it contains a shoe.
It must swim for miles through the desert
Uttering cries that are almost human.

Found at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240770

1 comment:

  1. Heyy love your blog mind checking mine out...i just started but its my own material except for "Still I Rise" :) its inscribedwords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete