Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why this Blog exists...

Once a sworn (and very vocal) loather of poetry, I now find myself a self appointed advocate of the form. As a recent graduate with my B.F.A. in Creative Writing, I almost changed my major when I found out I was enrolled in a poetry workshop. I complained the whole time. I somehow enrolled in another class, ended up as poetry editor for the campus literary magazine, and made a habit of posting poems to Facebook every day (and lots of other evidence that I indeed do not hate poetry)… So I had stop myself when I said for the hundredth time, “I appreciate poetry and the people who read a write it, but it’s not for me. I hate poetry…” because I realized it wasn’t true. And it wasn’t that poetry had changed but the way I was reading it had. It wasn’t about analyzing poems anymore like frogs on a dissecting table. Once I could see the poem, not just as something to be prodded at until I found the heart, but read and enjoyed… I actually started to enjoy it, too. So the point of this blog is not to shove poetry down your throat (though I may joke about that sometimes). And it's certainly not to say there isn't a time and place for pulling apart a poem for closer inspection. The point is to present some poems in a different light and maybe you too will (one a poem at a time) change the way you feel and a make just a little time for poetry in your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment