Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

"At the Seaside" by Robert Louis Stevenson

Because the month of June is overwhelming me with all the adult problems I’d hoped to avoid a little bit longer, I’m protesting by posting my favorite children’s poems. Maybe it won’t make finding an apartment easier or paying bills and going to work anymore fun, but it might help me get through a month when everything feels impossible and I wish there was still someone to tuck me at night and read outloud from my favorite books as I fall asleep after a very, very long day.

At the Seaside
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup,
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment