Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"I dwell in Possibility" (466) by Emily Dickinson

To both make up for my recent lack of poetry posts and to make the most of Women's History Month before it's over, I'm imposing a new theme- poems by women. Not super unique but super exciting! And who better to keep Women's History Month moving along but Emily Dickinson? That's okay. I couldn't think of anyone else either...


I dwell in Possibility (466)
by Emily Dickinson

I dwell in Possibility –
A fairer House than Prose –
More numerous of Windows –
Superior – for Doors –

Of Chambers as the Cedars –
Impregnable of eye –
And for an everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky –

Of Visitors – the fairest –
For Occupation – This –
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise –


Found at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=182904

No comments:

Post a Comment