Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"the lost women" by Lucille Clifton

Hurrah!! March is Women’s History Month which means we’ll be looking at a variety of women poets, past and present. I’m so excited! The idea is to find mostly poems written about women by women. To get the month of women and poetry off to a good start, Lucille Clifton will do the trick...

the lost women
by Lucille Clifton

i need to know their names
those women i would have walked with
jauntily the way men go in groups
swinging their arms, and the ones
those sweating women whom i would have joined
after a hard game to chew the fat
what would we have called each other laughing
joking into our beer? where are my gangs,
my teams, my mislaid sisters?
all the women who could have known me,
where in the world are their names?

Found at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/21309

No comments:

Post a Comment