Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Winter Love" by Linda Gregg

I will employ my loftiest language and poetic knowledge to tell you I think this little poem is great. It irritates me like a mosquito in my ear me but like the mosquito, I can't stop thinking about it. I feel like it ends before it should (so much more I want to know!) but am certain one word longer would be too long and would kill the poem. This poem is a good reminder that what poet leaves out is often as important as what they leave in.

Even if you disagree with me (or just don't care), I want you to at least think for a moment about what more information would do to the effect of the poem. Think about some questions you may have- Who is gone? What happened? How long has it been? If she told you, would you care?
Now I ask you- Does the longing for more information we experience as a reader make us more in tune with the speaker of the poem or does it distance us? Maybe both. I advise you take a hot (or warm) cup of tea and mull it over awhile. Enjoy!

Winter Love
by Linda Gregg

I would like to decorate this silence,
but my house grows only cleaner
and more plain. The glass chimes I hung
over the register ring a little
when the heat goes on.
I waited too long to drink my tea.
It was not hot. It was only warm.

Found at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176562

No comments:

Post a Comment