Why poetry?

Poetry (I'm learning now I've graduated) isn't something you run across often outside of the classroom. But poetry is meant for more than just Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 3:00-4:00 so here is a place to always find poems and suggestions of more places to seek them out. You can agree or disagree with my choices, but my hope is that you'll be inspired to let poetry (the poems I find or ones you find on your own) be a part of your every day.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Rain Song" by Khaled Mattawa

I’ve decided... no theme for May. I think we’ll take the stream of consciousness approach this month and let one poem lead to the next. There are so many poems worth reading that sometimes a theme is helpful in focusing while other times its restricting like a thick wool turtleneck sweater that fits too tight. It might keep you warm but you aren’t comfortable. Since it’s spring, we’ll take a break from our old wool sweater, put on a light cotton dress, and see what poems the spring storms blow our way...

Rain Song
by Khaled Mattawa
 
After Al-Sayyah
             The radio blares “Dialogue of Souls,”
and the woman who hated clouds
                          watches the sky.
             Where is the sea now? she asks.
Where is it from here?
                          What is its name?—
             this rain on a morning ride to school,
winter, my seventh year,
                          my father driving
             through rain, his eyes fixed on a world
of credit and debt. On the
                          radio, devotion to
             the lifter of harm from those who despair,
             knower of secrets with the knowledge of certainty.
Not even the anguish of those
                          years, the heavy
             traffic, cold and wind could have
touched me. I was certain the palm
                          holding me would be
             struck again. Chance allows
for that and for stars to throb
                          in reachable depths.
             Filled with grief bordering happiness,
I didn’t care if I was safe,
                          whether the storm
             was over, only that it came, the slash
of lightning, the groaning sky,
                          and the storms we made,
             how rain stripped everything of urgency,
how to the lifter of harm rise
             those who despair.

Found at: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240904

No comments:

Post a Comment